Friday, July 26, 2013

Magnet Wreath


Magnet Wreath - Today's Anything Goes challenge at Crafts 4 Eternity gave me the perfect opportunity to make this gift for one of teachers at the Day Care Center. This one is for Heather. I owe a huge amount of gratitude to Heather. She is the one that came into the room and urged me to take the baby the day of the tornado. The baby had an appointment that day and he was to be picked up by someone else an hour later. So I was to take only the 3 year old. But because of Heather, I did take both boys, and the baby was not in the building when the tornado destroyed the Day Care Center a short time later. 

They had 13 children and 5 teachers left when the tornado struck the Day Care Center. They were all in the bathroom with the teachers laying on top of the children. Everyone survived with minor injuries. The building did not fair as well. 

My project is a magnet board. I used a metal plate that I picked up at the Dollar Tree. I used a running stitch to pleat the tulle border. I used my treasured hand dyed rose ribbon on the inner edge. 


My DP is DCWV Rustic Stack. I used my Cricut to cut the circle. I love this cream butterfly on the edge. It needed a little bling.


My wire was coiled around a paintbrush.


My flowers were handmade using SB posie dies, Dusty Concord distress ink and pearls.


I tied another piece of tulle into a bow for the hanger. I still have to make the magnets for this one, but I will get something that matches it tomorrow and some more magnets. 

I still have 4 more of these to make. I want to make one for each of those 5 brave teachers who risked everything to keep those 13 children safe.

Simply Create Too #42 No Cards
Crafty Bloggers Network #13 Metal
Lady Annes Challenges #4 Monochromatic
Pile It On Challenge #29 Thinking of You
Love to Create Challenge #75 Hugs and Wishes
Paper Take Weekly Dies/Punches
Top Tip Tuesday #106 Spooled items Tulle and rose ribbon

12 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Mari, I love the colour. Such a beautiful gift from the heart for a wonderful person!

    Sheena
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wreath is so tender Mari! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful & thoughtful creation Mari. Have a lovely weekend hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful creations and so special as well considering why you are doing it. Them brave teachers are amazing for what they did that day.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Bloggers Network for this months theme of "metal magic"
    Hugs
    Kelly
    DT
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful magnet wreath, love the colour and the beautiful embellishments thank you for entering it in the Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge.

    Sylv xx
    Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and unusual Mari. Love your pretty flowers. keeleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous wreath, and such a lovely gesture! Thank you for joining us this week at Love to Create Challenge Blog.
    Ruza, LTC Designer

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous wreath!

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us this week at Love to Create.
    Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again!

    Hugs Mian
    Love to Create Design Team Member
    http://mianspysselhorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us on Crafty Bloggers Network.
    Sarah DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful creation!!! Thanks so much for participating in our LOVE TO CREATE challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your gorgeous wreath! Thanks so much for joining our Spooled Items challenge at Top Tip Tuesday.

    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a gorgeous magnet wreath. Love the details with the tulle. rose ribbon and added flowers. Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck. Hope to see you back tuesday for a new challenge. Bettina DT Member at Top Tip Tuesday xx

    ReplyDelete